Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Update :)

Well who said that Labor Day wouldn't constitute actual labor :p Taking some time to look at some personal stuff over the last few days and give the Mad Scientist a bit of a break, we all agreed to work on the car today. A lot got done thanks to my wife, Justin, and myself.

Quick recap -
  • Rest of the fuel lines attached (there were only a few left but I had Kristen do the ones at the bottom of the gas tank since I just couldn't be bothered lol).
  • Brake Booster replaced
  • Brake Master Cylinder replaced
  • Clutch Master Cylinder replaced
  • 3 out of 4 brakes replaced (two drums and 1 disc) with a switch to the Stainless steel brake lines which look hot!! :)
  • Radiator hoses attached
  • Thermostat drilled for better flow
  • Water-outlet swapped out for a better one from the Justin Parts Yard (JPY)
  • Starter switched out to what amounted to a brand new one from the JPY :p
  • Bought a bunch of flushing stuff for the engine/radiator aka Seafoam and Gunk Engine Flusher and Prestone Radiator flush.
I have to at this point definitely say that I am VERY impressed with my wife's ability with the wrench. You just tell her to get something done and she'll get it done. Not afraid to get her hands dirty and it's fun to work together. She did the remaining two fuel lines in the gas tank as well as the three of the engine fuel lines, helped with the brake master cylinder and brake booster as well. I love having a kickass wife :p

On a different note, we couldn't get the car to start after all that work. For some reason the timing seems to be severely off. Check on the distributor showed it was fine..the spark plugs were fine, the wiring order of the distributor was also correct. You know it's something strange when when the master mechanic and the guy that builds Z's all day long says "This no-makey-sensey." However, with that said Justin is confident that we can get the car roadworthy after one more trip out there.

Here's what's remaining to be done:
  • Flush fluilds out, including gear oil.
  • Bleed brakes
  • Get it started
  • Tune the carbs
  • Cruise around!!
Very close now and I'm excited. Once I get a feel on how it behaves, I'll take it up and down Highland Valley (SLOWLY) and keep an eye on all the vitals. After that I'll have Justin take her for a spin and see what he thinks. I'll have to replace the motor and transmission mounts before I get all crazy though, but something tells me she'll do just fine after that :)

Yes folks, I DID take a few pictures, but was really busy working. Will post up later! Time to go to sleep!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely looking forward to seeing some pics (and videos!). You may be able to just use window sealant instead of replacing the mounts altogether. It's essentially sticky harder urethane, and from what I've heard holds up well to the elements and the stresses of holding an engine in your car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To both Irish & Oliver,

    I appreciate the feedback. It's nice to know it's getting out there and providing people with entertainment.

    Irish: That's actually a cool trick...I didn't even think of that...wouldn't it just be easier though to spend the 20-something bucks on some new mounts though? I dunno just contemplating here.

    Oliver - Glad you found it interesting. Feel free to follow if you wish. I'll do my best to keep this updated :)

    ReplyDelete