Friday, October 23, 2009

The new windshield and the sway bar bolts

Well very exciting Friday. I dropped the car off at the shop last night with JG where I'm getting a serious hook up on a brand new windshield installed and a couple of sway bar bolts added on
so that both Kristen and I can cruise up and down Highland Valley and get a feel for the car's handling characteristics at speed. For those that don't know it's kind of a intricate mountain pass that connects the suburb of Ramona from San Diego. It's got everything from fast straights to complicated S-curves and high speed corners. Although we're not going to go all out, we are going to put the car to the test and see how it performs without a tune and exhaust and see the difference with the system and JG's tune. It's an exciting time! I'm hoping that we can get the exhaust done by early next week so that the car will be ready for the meet, but it also depends on JG's schedule considering we also have to put in the motor mounts and the transmission mount.

I spoke to JG for about an hour last night with the car's ability to haul ass and all kinds of other things I'm experiencing after driving the Z. For one, I'm seeing that because the Z is so raw and untamed, any other car you jump into after that becomes extremely easy to drive. I took my Spec V out for a spin yesterday and I figured out the car a lot quicker and was able to drive a lot smoother than I did when I daily drove it. I have a theory that might explain that. When you're driving a 40 year old car, all you have is you and the car's mechanicals. There are no electronics, no computer systems keeping you in check, no ABS to save you if you mess up, so as a driver driving on the roads of today you have no choice but to sharpen your senses, think that much more ahead, and anticipate things even more. You also have to pay attention to everything constantly: temperature gauge, volt meter, oil pressure, RPMs, is the car sounding like it normally does at a certain RPM, is the engine response the same as it was a minute ago, etc. With newer cars a lot of things of the aforementioned are just taken for granted because it's newer technology. As such, I am going out on a limb here and saying that you can indeed become a better, faster driver, if you drive an old bucket like this one.

In other news, I hear that my igniter module is coming in sometime soon so we'll see what's up with that and if finances agree with me, I'll probably pick up a new set of stiffer sway bars from MSA or something.

That's it for now! Stay tuned for a picture later on tonight with a new windshield in all it's sexiness!

1 comment: